Naturally Gluten-Free Cornbread
If you want to make a crowd-pleasing cornbread for any time of year, the truth is that there is no need for wheat flours or hunting down gluten-free substitutes, which can be expensive, non-nutritious, and dense when baked.
While most gluten-free cornbread recipes use a gluten-free flour blend, this recipe uses corn in 3 forms – flour, meal, and whole pureed corn kernels – to create a healthy, fluffy, and simply delicious cornbread that has no hint of being gluten-free! Yogurt and pureed corn create a creamy base (with extra protein!), while corn flour lightens the mix. You even get to use up some of that frozen corn in your freezer, while cornmeal and cornflour can be found in most grocery stores. Bob’s Redmill is an easy brand to find, but any will work! Enjoy with a big pot of warm chili, with soft eggs for a festive brunch, or as a tasty and packable snack!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup Greek or plain Yogurt (can sub lactose-free plain yogurt )
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil (such as sunflower seed or canola)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (thawed or microwaved for 30 seconds)
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup cornflour
- 1.5 cups cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp honey (omit if needed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Grease a medium cast iron pan or 9x9" baking dish very well. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, add cornflour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and whisk.
- In a blender, puree corn kernels with the yogurt until mostly creamy (can be left a little chunky if you want some extra corn textures in the bread).
- In a small bowl, add corn puree, eggs, oil, milk, and honey. Whisk well to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan or dish and place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown (toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center).
- Remove from the oven and cool about 10 minutes. Cut into squares or slices, serve warm, and enjoy!
- calories: 320
- carbohydrates: 35g
- fat: 18g
- fiber: 6g
- potassium: 203mg
- protein: 8g
- saturated fat: 2g
- sodium: 619mg
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you think there is enough awareness of IBS?