IBS-Friendly Hoisin Tofu
Last updated: April 2022
In my opinion, tofu is an awesome substitute for meat, but only if it’s prepared right. After cooking with tofu for a while, you find out which texture works for you and which flavor-profile you like the most. Today I am sharing with you an IBS-friendly tofu dish that I think many of you will enjoy. In the past, I have made my favorite honey hoisin ribs and crispy tofu for my family. They enjoy the sweet and savory taste from the ribs, and I like the crispy texture of the extra firm tofu after its baked. So I was inspired to combine the two to make something that is “safe enough” for us IBS sufferers to eat. I stand by this dish and its super delicious! If you try this out, please let me know what you think. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Ingredients for IBS-friendly hoisin tofu:
- 12 oz. of extra firm tofu
- Toasted sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons smooth almond butter
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Garnish: green onions chopped
Directions for IBS-friendly hoisin tofu:
- Make sure to drain the tofu and wrap in paper towels to absorb the moisture for at least 1-2 hours before you’re ready to start cooking your meal.
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the tofu into ½ in. cubes.
- Spread the tofu onto a rack with a tray under it to catch any drippings and lightly coat it with the toasted sesame oil. (If you don’t have a rack, then a parchment-lined baking sheet will do just fine).
- Bake for about 40 minutes, then broil on high for 5-7 minutes, or until the tofu turns light brown and is nice and firm.
- For the sauce, bring a sauce pan to medium-high heat and whisk together all of the sauce ingredients.
- Let the sauce simmer on low heat for about 7-8 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Toss the tofu and hoisin sauce in a bowl until tofu is completely coated.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
- calories: 185
- carbohydrates: 7.2g
- fiber: 1.3g
- potassium: 131mg
- protein: 10.5g
- saturated fat: 2g
- sodium: 1034mg
- total fat: 14.5g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you have trouble trying to balance your diet with multiple illnesses?
Join the conversation