IBS-Friendly Hoisin Tofu
In my opinion, tofu is an awesome substitute for meat, but only if it’s prepared right. After cooking with tofu for a while, you find out which texture works for you and which flavor-profile you like the most. Today I am sharing with you an IBS-friendly tofu dish that I think many of you will enjoy. In the past, I have made my favorite honey hoisin ribs and crispy tofu for my family. They enjoy the sweet and savory taste from the ribs, and I like the crispy texture of the extra firm tofu after its baked. So I was inspired to combine the two to make something that is “safe enough” for us IBS sufferers to eat. I stand by this dish and its super delicious! If you try this out, please let me know what you think. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Ingredients for IBS-friendly hoisin tofu:
- 12 oz. of extra firm tofu
- Toasted sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons smooth almond butter
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Garnish: green onions chopped
Directions for IBS-friendly hoisin tofu:
- Make sure to drain the tofu and wrap in paper towels to absorb the moisture for at least 1-2 hours before you’re ready to start cooking your meal.
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the tofu into ½ in. cubes.
- Spread the tofu onto a rack with a tray under it to catch any drippings and lightly coat it with the toasted sesame oil. (If you don’t have a rack, then a parchment-lined baking sheet will do just fine).
- Bake for about 40 minutes, then broil on high for 5-7 minutes, or until the tofu turns light brown and is nice and firm.
- For the sauce, bring a sauce pan to medium-high heat and whisk together all of the sauce ingredients.
- Let the sauce simmer on low heat for about 7-8 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Toss the tofu and hoisin sauce in a bowl until tofu is completely coated.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
- calories: 185
- carbohydrates: 7.2g
- fiber: 1.3g
- potassium: 131mg
- protein: 10.5g
- saturated fat: 2g
- sodium: 1034mg
- total fat: 14.5g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you cancel plans often due to IBS?