Chicken Tikka Masala
A traditional Northern Indian dish1, this FODMAP-friendly recipe is chock full of powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant spices are known to boost your immune system. The active component in turmeric, curcumin, not only gives this spice its notorious vibrant yellow color, but its anti-inflammatory role may help alleviate some of IBS symptoms.2 It’s best absorbed when served with pepper; so don’t forget to top this tasty dish off with fresh ground pepper right before you are ready to eat. Enjoy this dish served over a cup of cooked brown rice – it's FODMAP approved, adds a healthy dose of fiber, and soaks up that delicious, nutrient-dense sauce! Serve this up with a side of creamy polenta with balsamic braised mushrooms.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes (Plus 2+ hrs refrigeration)
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Marinade
- 1.5 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 2 large breasts)
- 1/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt or lactose-free yogurt
- 1/2 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup 2% Greek yogurt or lactose free yogurt (without additives)
- 1 15-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp canola oil or sunflower seed oil
- 3-4 cups cooked rice (such as brown rice or Basmati)
- Cilantro, optional garnish
- Cut chicken breast into cubes, about ½ - 1 inch pieces, and add to a glass bowl or container. In a separate small bowl, whisk yogurt, ginger, and spices until smooth. Dump mixture over chicken and coat. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or overnight for optimal flavor.
- Take chicken out of the refrigerator about 20 minutes before you are ready to cook. In a deep cast iron pan, Dutch oven, or pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add all spices and grated ginger and sauté on low for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken (and juices from the marinade) and sauté for about 5 minutes, until liquid is evaporated (stir a few times for even cooking).
- Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to simmer. Simmer on medium-low for 8-10 minutes, until sauce has thickened. Stir in yogurt and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring well.
- Cook rice per instructions. Serve dish warm over fluffy rice with cilantro garnish if desired.
Have a favorite chicken recipe to share?
- Siciliano-Rosen L. Chicken tikka masala. Encyclopedia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/topic/chicken-tikka-masala. Published October 4, 2019. Accessed April 7, 2020.
- Ng Q, Soh A, Loke W, Venkatanarayanan N, Lim D, Yeo W-S. A Meta-Analysis of the Clinical Use of Curcumin for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2018;7(10):1-9. doi:10.3390/jcm7100298.
- calories: 344
- carbohydrates: 12g
- fat: 13g
- fiber: 3g
- potassium: 1032mg
- protein: 44g
- saturated fat: 2g
- sodium: 1175mg
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you think there is enough awareness of IBS?