Chicken Sausage & Kale Pasta
There are endless choices for gluten-free pasta. Find a combination that works for you! Since lentils can be tricky for IBS, if you decide to try a bean pasta, make sure that it’s not 100 percent legume-based. Otherwise, stick with quinoa, corn, teff, or rice-based gluten-free pasta. You can also substitute vegetarian sausage if you’re eating more plant-based. Just look out for food triggers in the ingredient list. Cook up a few extra servings of everything but the pasta, then freeze and date in airtight containers. Next time you make pasta, defrost your veggie and sausage mixture, and you’ll have a tasty meal in minutes!
Garlic and onion’s tolerability vary from person to person with IBS. This provides less than a half a clove of garlic per portion and about 1/6 of an onion. You can cut this in half if you’re very sensitive and still have a flavorful dish. If peas upset you, chopped green beans are a good substitute.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. gluten-free pasta (such as rice-based, quinoa-rice, or lentil grain blend)
- 1 lb. organic pre-cooked chicken sausage links, sliced into thin rounds (~1/4” thick)
- 12 oz frozen kale or ~3 cups chopped raw
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs, such as oregano, parsley, and thyme (or 1.5 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs if you have)
- 1/3 grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cut sausage and sauté on both sides until browned (about 5 minutes). Transfer sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add onion, garlic, and dried herbs (if using fresh add later) and sauté on medium heat until translucent and fragrant.
- Add balsamic vinegar, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in kale, tomato paste, and canned tomatoes. Mix well and bring to a strong simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Mix in frozen peas, sausage, and fresh herbs if using, and simmer for 5 minutes more. Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to your liking.
- Distribute pasta into bowls and ladle the sauce on top.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and more herbs on top.
- calories: 530
- carbohydrates: 68g
- cholesterol: 125mg
- fat: 15g
- fiber: 8g
- potassium: 1183mg
- protein: 32g
- saturated fat: 3.5g
- sodium: 830mg
- sugars: 9g
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you live with any sleep disorders (eg. insomnia, RLS, sleep apnea) in addition to IBS?