Chicken Sausage & Kale Pasta
There are endless choices for gluten-free pasta. Find a combination that works for you! Since lentils can be tricky for IBS, if you decide to try a bean pasta, make sure that it’s not 100 percent legume-based. Otherwise, stick with quinoa, corn, teff, or rice-based gluten-free pasta. You can also substitute vegetarian sausage if you’re eating more plant-based. Just look out for food triggers in the ingredient list. Cook up a few extra servings of everything but the pasta, then freeze and date in airtight containers. Next time you make pasta, defrost your veggie and sausage mixture, and you’ll have a tasty meal in minutes!
Garlic and onion’s tolerability vary from person to person with IBS. This provides less than a half a clove of garlic per portion and about 1/6 of an onion. You can cut this in half if you’re very sensitive and still have a flavorful dish. If peas upset you, chopped green beans are a good substitute.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. gluten-free pasta (such as rice-based, quinoa-rice, or lentil grain blend)
- 1 lb. organic pre-cooked chicken sausage links, sliced into thin rounds (~1/4” thick)
- 12 oz frozen kale or ~3 cups chopped raw
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs, such as oregano, parsley, and thyme (or 1.5 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs if you have)
- 1/3 grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cut sausage and sauté on both sides until browned (about 5 minutes). Transfer sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add onion, garlic, and dried herbs (if using fresh add later) and sauté on medium heat until translucent and fragrant.
- Add balsamic vinegar, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in kale, tomato paste, and canned tomatoes. Mix well and bring to a strong simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Mix in frozen peas, sausage, and fresh herbs if using, and simmer for 5 minutes more. Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to your liking.
- Distribute pasta into bowls and ladle the sauce on top.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and more herbs on top.
- calories: 530
- carbohydrates: 68g
- cholesterol: 125mg
- fat: 15g
- fiber: 8g
- potassium: 1183mg
- protein: 32g
- saturated fat: 3.5g
- sodium: 830mg
- sugars: 9g
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you think there is enough awareness of IBS?