IBS-Friendly Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup
Last updated: October 2022
I always enjoy a nice, hearty soup, especially if it’s IBS friendly. As many of you already know, I have been experimenting with a lot of dishes over the years just to find out which recipes work best for me and my IBS. Although the weather is starting to get warmer out, this is still a nice and healthy dish to have when you’re trying to avoid eating food that can trigger your symptoms. Here is one soup recipe in particular that I consider one of my favorites, and since it is IBS friendly, I thought I would share it with all of you.
Ingredients for butternut squash sweet potato soup:
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Sweet potatoes cut into 1 in. pieces.
- Half of a Butternut squash cut into 1 in. pieces.
- 1lb (or about .5 kg) of Shrimp
- 2 tbsps. of Coconut oil
- ½ tsp. of Salt
- 1 tsp. of Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. of Cumin
- 1 tsp. of Turmeric
- ½ tsp. of Cinnamon
- 4 cups of Organic Chicken broth
- ½ cup of almond milk
- 1 cup of chopped red, green, and yellow bell peppers
- ½ cup of Pancetta bits
Directions for IBS-friendly butternut squash sweet potato soup:
- Heat pot to medium-high heat and add coconut oil.
- Add the chopped butternut squash and sweet potatoes, along with the bay leaf. Let them cook for 5-6 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Then add the salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin. Lower heat to medium-low and stir.
- Once the butternut squash and sweet potatoes soften, you can mash manually or blend until smooth. (I prefer chunky so I mash manually.)
- Stir in the almond milk. (If the consistency is too thick for you, then add a little more chicken broth.)
- Add shrimp and cook on low, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, cook the peppers and pancetta bits.
- Once everything is done, serve soup in a bowl. Garnish with peppers and pancetta bits.
If you try out this recipe, please comment below and let us know what you think!
- calories: 396
- cholesterol: 241mg
- fiber: 4.3g
- potassium: 811mg
- protein: 33.7g
- saturated fat: 13.8g
- sodium: 1388mg
- total carbohydrates: 23.8g
- total fat: 18.8g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you have trouble trying to balance your diet with multiple illnesses?
Join the conversation