Do Stress and Anxiety Cause IBS?
- Drossman DA. Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders: History, Pathophysiology, Clinical Features and Rome IV. Gastroenterology. 2016;150:1262-1279.
- Chang L. The role of stress on physiologic responses and clinical symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2011;140:761-765.
- Hadhazy A. Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being. Scientific American. February 12, 2010. Accessed 8/25/16 at: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/
- Netburn D. Why we feel emotions in our guts, and what microbes have to do with it. Los Angeles Times. July 8, 2016. Accessed 8/25/16 at: http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-mind-gut-connection-20160708-snap-story.html
- Qin H, Cheng C, Tang X, Bian Z. Impact of psychological stress on irritable bowel syndrome. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:14126-14131.
- Wilkins T, Pepitone C, Alex B, Schade RR. Diagnosis and management of IBS in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2012;86:419-426.