Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

35 years of H**L

I am a 43 year old female and have suffered with stomach issues for 35 years or longer. It has really taken over my life I make pretty much every daily decision set around my stomach or should I say my stomach and colon. I am so excited to finally have some other people to share with that understand what this is like. Not giving up

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The IrritableBowelSyndrome.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Comments

• GinaH
    1 year ago

It is definitely life changing…aggravating and can be humiliating. It robs us from living life at times.
    I pretty much have isolated myself from life aside from daily stuff I.e. work..grocery shopping etc.
    I no longer go out with friends….my children/grandchildren live 3 hours away which puts a damper on my visits.
    It really is awful.
    I am glad to have found this site because it is hard for anyone to understand unless they are going through this issue.
    Some people see it as an excuse for me to not go somewhere etc….but, it really is not. I feel like a hostage ….ugh!

• GinaH
    1 year ago

I have had IBS-D for quite sometime now. Interfering with life. I never know when a spell will happen. My big issue is at times, my stool is just like liquid….no control of the system. I have had episodes of incontinence and it is embarrassing. Has anyone else have this issue?

• jaeger91
    1 year ago

GinaH, I have had this issue, and it is very embarrassing. I have pelvic floor damage, so I can have incontinence regardless of stool consistency, but liquid is THE worst! The anxiety it creates–worrying about having an accident in public–is the worst part of IBS for me (aside from the actual accidents I have had). I have learned some strategies for coping with it, though. Two of them are that I always have an emergency kit with me and my doctor gave me a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication. I can take the med on an as-needed basis rather than daily. The emergency kit is reassurance that I am prepared and can handle an episode of incontinence if it does occur. These strategies allow me to attend some events I would otherwise be too nervous to attend for fear of having another episode. While these strategies don’t prevent the problem, they do decrease my anxiety. Since anxiety is one of my IBS triggers, defeating the anxiety cuts down on my frequency of accidents. I hope you find some strategies to help you.

• GinaH
    1 year ago

I do have an emergency kit with me too. Thank you for sharing your story. I just posted about my latest flare up. I hate to say it but I did have a meltdown and ended up throwing whatever was in my path while venting my frustration. This is definitely a first to the extent…just years of this has finally worn me down

• butterdog8
    1 year ago

I found this link helpful:

Helpforibs.com

I take Heather’s Tummy Care, which helps constipation or diarrhea.

• GinaH
    1 year ago

I currently take the peppermint pills. Helps with pain and urgency. As soon as I finish my benefiber, I will take start my Heather’s Fiber. I also drink her peppermint tea daily. I am only taking 1 pill daily (morning). Trying the lowest dosage right now. I have had some relief. Some is better than none.

• GinaH
    1 year ago

I am currently trying it. I take the daily pills (just in the morning) and it seems to help with the pains and urgency. As soon as i finish my Benefiber, i have the Heather’s Fiber to start. I also drink the peppermint tea daily!

• GinaH
    1 year ago

Oh have ordered some to give it a try! Fingers crossed

• Chris Hall moderator
    1 year ago

Thanks for sharing what’s worked for you, butterdog8. It’s important to note that different treatment options work differently for each individual. We encourage all community members to speak with their doctors before starting any new treatment options. Thanks again for commenting! – Chris, IrritableBowelSyndrome.net Team Member

• Chris Hall moderator
    1 year ago

Thanks for sharing your story, mazy1202! We’re so glad you found this site. There’s a great community of folks here that definitely understand how difficult IBS is. Please let us know if we can help you find information! – Chris, IrritableBowelSyndrome.net Team Member

• Poll