Veggie Loaded Crispy Tofu Stew
This is a customizable recipe you can substitute in whatever veggies you have fresh or frozen. Mushrooms (in amounts tolerated), fresh tomatoes, kale, potatoes, and summer squash are examples that could also work!
Tofu has a neutral taste and takes on the flavor of your ingredients, so using herbs and spices when cooking with tofu is a must! Tofu is a good source of leucine, a type of amino acid that is important for muscle repair. It also has bone protecting properties. Firm tofu that’s drained is lower in FODMAPs, so choose this over silken types.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for veggie loaded crispy tofu stew
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1.5 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 1.5 cups crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen kale, shredded or chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olives, Greek yogurt, and/or fresh cilantro or parsley, for serving (optional)
Directions for veggie loaded crispy tofu stew
- Wrap tofu block in a kitchen towel or paper towels and set on a plate. Place a heavy object, such as a small cast iron pan, on top. This will help drain and absorb the water from the tofu and allow it to get crispy.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to your instant pot and set to SAUTE mode on high. Add garlic, onion, ginger, and carrots. Cook until onion is translucent and fragrant - about 4 minutes - stirring a few times. Mix in all of the dried spices and sauté for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add all remaining chopped vegetables (except for the kale) and stir to coat. Saute for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and ¼ cup of the veggie stock. Stir and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Attach the lid and adjust the vent valve to seal. Set instant pot to meat/stew mode (or manual mode) and add 15 minutes cook time. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes before venting and opening.
- While the stew is cooking, make the crispy tofu. Unwrap the block and cut into 1” cubes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet or cast-iron pan. Working in batches, carefully add about half of the tofu cubes to the pan. Sauté and flip until the sides are browned and crispy, about 7 minutes, and set aside on a plate. Repeat for remaining tofu.
- Release and open the stew. Fold in tofu and kale immediately. Cover for 5 minutes. Stir again before serving.
- Top with optional olives, dollop of Greek yogurt, and/or fresh herbs.
Mix in crushed tomatoes and pumpkin. Then pour in remaining veggie stock. Stir to combine.
- calories: 180
- carbohydrates: 20g
- fat: 9g
- fiber: 6g
- potassium: 751mg
- protein: 10g
- saturated fat: 1.5g
- sodium: 160mg
- sugar: 10g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you taken our In America Survey yet?