Last updated: March 2022
As we begin to see crisp cool mornings here in the southern hemisphere, it becomes the perfect time to get back into warm oats for breakfast!
If you are following the low FODMAP diet, oats can be a great choice but the serving size will depend on what you call oats/oatmeal and what form you prefer them in - rolled/flakes/quick/steel cut, etc. You can find the different serving sizes in the Monash University FODMAP Diet App and then just substitute the amount in the recipe for the amount noted in the app.
Serving size of rolled oats: ½ cup
Ingredients for turmeric oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats/oatmeal
- 1 cup almond milk (or your preferred milk)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch of black pepper
- Extra water for soaking
Directions for turmeric oats
- Place the oats in a bowl, cover with water and soak overnight in the fridge
- In the morning, drain the water from the oats, add the oats and milk to a small saucepan along with the turmeric, cinnamon and ground ginger and black pepper
- Bring to a simmer then gently heat the oats for a few minutes, stirring often until it has thickened
- Add extra water or milk if needed to reach your preferred thickness
- Pour the oats into a bowl, top with the maple syrup and perhaps a sliced firm banana. Enjoy!
- calories: 732
- carbohydrates: 47g
- fiber: 10g
- potassium: 830mg
- protein: 11g
- sodium: 40mg
- total fat: 60.1g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you have trouble trying to balance your diet with multiple illnesses?
Join the conversation