Turmeric can be used to treat inflammation naturally. It can also assist in stimulating the digestive process and reduce abdominal discomfort. Ginger can also help with digestion, reducing bloating, flatulence, nausea, and cramping. I find that having a little every day helps me to manage my IBS, plus it tastes delicious in this easy to make drink!
Black pepper and fat (in this recipe in the form of coconut oil, butter, ghee, or coconut milk) can help the body absorb the turmeric better, so it's important to add them to get the most benefits.1-5
This turmeric latte recipe is also dairy-free, gluten-free, suitable for vegans or vegetarians and it's low FODMAP friendly.
Prep time: 5 mins
Ingredients for turmeric latte
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or butter, ghee or coconut milk)
Directions for turmeric latte
- Add all the ingredients to an electric milk frother or small saucepan on a stove. If using the stove, whisk the ingredients to mix thoroughly.
- Heat until it's just about to simmer.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Benzie, I 2011, Herbal medicine: bimolecular and clinical aspects, 2nd edn.
- He, Y et al. 2015, 'Curcumin, inflammation and chronic diseases: how are they linked', Molecules, vol. 20. no. 5, pp. 9123-213.
- Linus Pauling Institute 2016, Curcumin, http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dietary-factors/phytochemicals/curcumin
- Tu, Y et al. 2014, 'Preparation, characterisation and evaluation of curcumin with pipeline-loaded cubocome nanoparticles', Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 551-9.
- Watson, R 2013, Bioactive food as dietary interventions for liver and gastrointestinal disease, Academic Press, San Diego.
- calories: 616
- dietary fiber: 5.7g
- potassium: 686mg
- protein: 5.7g
- saturated fat: 54.7g
- sodium: 37mg
- total carbohydrates: 19.2g
- total fat: 61.9g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you have difficulties with setting boundaries and saying no?