Sweet Potato Quesadillas
You may have heard the term ‘Eat the Rainbow’ when it comes to eating vegetables. With sweet potatoes, summer squash, and kale, this colorful dish is the very essence of a rainbow. Each serving contains about a cup and a half of veggies – more than half of your daily requirement. I like to top mine with cheddar cheese, but feel free to use your cheese of choice.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 to 40 minutes depending on the cooking method used
- 2 large sweet potatoes (~1.5 lbs)
- 2 small summer squash (yellow zucchini), shredded (with large holes of a box grater)
- 2 cups raw kale, chopped and stems removed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp garlic or onion powder
- ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lime
- 1 ripe avocado
- 8 corn tortillas (5-6”)
- Optional: salsa and Greek yogurt, for serving
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes.
- Use a fork to poke holes across the top of the sweet potatoes. Cook sweet potatoes (2 options): (1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap sweet potatoes in tin foil and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until tender OR (2) microwave on high for about 8 minutes, until tender
- In a medium skillet or cast iron pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add shredded squash and kale. Stir. Add spices. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until kale is wilted and squash is tender. Add salt and pepper. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Scoop the flesh out of the cooked sweet potatoes and mash, then mix it in with the zucchini and kale. Sprinkle in chopped cilantro and stir.
- On an oiled griddle or nonstick pan, heat 1 tortilla over medium heat. Sprinkle cheese across the tortilla. Add some of the veggie filling (about 2/3 cup) and spread/flatten out with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula. Place another tortilla on top. Cook for 1 minute. Flip, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Cut into quarters with a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors and serve with sliced avocado on top. Additional toppings such as salsa, squeeze of lime, and dollop of Greek Yogurt.
- calories: 564
- carbohydrates: 69g
- fat: 27g
- fiber: 13g
- potassium: 1148mg
- protein: 18g
- saturated fat: 10g
- sodium: 675mg
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you ever had a public IBS accident?