Roasted Roots with Pomegranate
Last updated: May 2022
Pomegranate seeds make every dish look prettier – with their brilliant shade of dark red - while offering a sweet (or sometimes tart and tangy), crunchy finish, and antioxidant boost! Pomegranates contain a precursor to urolithin A, an anti-aging compound that may positively interact with gut bacteria. Drizzle in some olive oil to provide an excellent dose of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Also, because most Americans fall significantly short on fiber intake, adding roasted roots to your diet will likely give a needed boost to your daily fiber. This recipe is low FODMAP, gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
Note: This recipe can use other root veggies as well, such as Yukon gold potatoes, celeriac, and acorn squash.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Makes 8 servings
Ingredients for roasted roots with pomegranate
- ½ lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1” thick rounds
- ½ lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1” thick rounds
- ½ rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- 1-2 lbs butternut or Kabocha squash, peeled and cut into 1” in chunks
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (can be seeded from ½ of large pomegranate or bought prepared)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp each salt & ground black pepper
- Optional: fresh or dried herbs such as rosemary, thyme, sage; fresh squeezed lemon
Directions for roasted roots with pomegranate
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper, or silicone baking mat (or spray/brush with oil).
- Wash and scrub vegetables. After peeling and chopping all vegetables, mix together in a very large bowl. Pour in olive oil and mix well, as if tossing a salad, to coat all vegetables. Mix in salt, pepper, and optional herbs.
- Spread vegetables on to baking tray. Spread in an even layer so that pieces aren’t on top of each other. Tap tray against your counter a few times to help with this!
- Place into the oven and roast for about 45 minutes, until veggies are tender and browned. Half way through cooking, remove tray and use tongues or spatula to flip/move around veggies (don’t worry if you don’t get them all) and return to oven.
- Transfer to a bowl and add pomegranate seeds with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and optional 2-3 squeezes of lemon. Mix.
- Cool and serve!
- calories: 130
- carbohydrates: 18g
- fat: 8g
- fiber: 4g
- potassium: 309mg
- protein: 1.5g
- saturated fat: 1g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you have trouble trying to balance your diet with multiple illnesses?
Join the conversation