Roasted Roots with Pomegranate
Pomegranate seeds make every dish look prettier – with their brilliant shade of dark red - while offering a sweet (or sometimes tart and tangy), crunchy finish, and antioxidant boost! Pomegranates contain a precursor to urolithin A, an anti-aging compound that may positively interact with gut bacteria. Drizzle in some olive oil to provide an excellent dose of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Also, because most Americans fall significantly short on fiber intake, adding roasted roots to your diet will likely give a needed boost to your daily fiber. This recipe is low FODMAP, gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
Note: This recipe can use other root veggies as well, such as Yukon gold potatoes, celeriac, and acorn squash.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Makes 8 servings
Ingredients for roasted roots with pomegranate
- ½ lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1” thick rounds
- ½ lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1” thick rounds
- ½ rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- 1-2 lbs butternut or Kabocha squash, peeled and cut into 1” in chunks
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (can be seeded from ½ of large pomegranate or bought prepared)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp each salt & ground black pepper
- Optional: fresh or dried herbs such as rosemary, thyme, sage; fresh squeezed lemon
Directions for roasted roots with pomegranate
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper, or silicone baking mat (or spray/brush with oil).
- Wash and scrub vegetables. After peeling and chopping all vegetables, mix together in a very large bowl. Pour in olive oil and mix well, as if tossing a salad, to coat all vegetables. Mix in salt, pepper, and optional herbs.
- Spread vegetables on to baking tray. Spread in an even layer so that pieces aren’t on top of each other. Tap tray against your counter a few times to help with this!
- Place into the oven and roast for about 45 minutes, until veggies are tender and browned. Half way through cooking, remove tray and use tongues or spatula to flip/move around veggies (don’t worry if you don’t get them all) and return to oven.
- Transfer to a bowl and add pomegranate seeds with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and optional 2-3 squeezes of lemon. Mix.
- Cool and serve!
- calories: 130
- carbohydrates: 18g
- fat: 8g
- fiber: 4g
- potassium: 309mg
- protein: 1.5g
- saturated fat: 1g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you taken our In America Survey yet?