When I host a dinner for my friends, it's hard to go 100 percent low FODMAP. I want to enjoy every serving I'm offering, at least when I'm at home, and I get to decide what to eat.
It is always a little stressful when I invite people over. Between work, preparing the menu, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc., I always prepare meals in advance to arrive well-organized for the event. HI, IT'S ME, CONTROL FREAK!
I consequently came up with an easy and fast idea, some zucchini rolls and some rice cakes, avocado, with cherry tomatoes on top. These servings are not totally FODMAP-free but are divided per person. The FODMAP amount is really low and easy to handle.
Cherry tomatoes are my biggest addiction, and I cannot have a bowl of them like I used to (and sometimes I admit I cannot resist when I pick them freshly from the garden, but I'm aware of the consequences), but I can still enjoy them mixed with other ingredients. Alternatively, you can use regular tomatoes that are lower in FODMAP.
It's a very healthy and light solution when you run out of ingredients, time, and fantasy to create a nice platter for your guests. And it looks colorful and delicious good too!
Makes: 4 servings
Serving size: a plate each
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for zucchini rolls:
- 3 medium zucchini
- 5-6 oz of ham
- 4 oz of Parmigiano or lactose-free cheese
- About 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for rice cakes avocado and tomatoes:
- 4 rice cakes
- 1 medium avocado
- About 12 cherry tomatoes
- A teaspoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for zucchini rolls:
- Wash the zucchini then slice them lengthwise, if you have a mandoline it's going to be easier to slice them equally, otherwise use a sharp knife and be careful!
- Pre-heat the grill
- I usually grill them with no condiments and add them later, but you can add salt, pepper, and olive oil before cooking them
- With the help of a tong, place the zucchini on the hot grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side
- Once cooked, remove them with the tong and place them to cool down on a plate
- In the meantime, cut your lactose-free cheese into strips
- Place the zucchini slice on the bottom, then add a piece of a slice of ham to cover the surface, the cheese, roll it, and pin it with a toothpick
Directions for rice cakes with avocado and tomatoes:
- Slice or smash the avocado and place it on the rice cake
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into wedges and place them on top of the avocado
- Add salt, pepper, olive oil, and oregano on top
Nutrition facts for zucchini rolls
Total Fat: 12.3g
Saturated Fat: 5.7g
Total Carbohydrates: 7.6g
Dietary Fiber: 2.2g
Total Sugars: 2.5g
Looking for the nutrition facts for rice cakes with avocado and tomatoes? See below.
- calories: 249
- dietary fiber: 8.6g
- potassium: 1170mg
- protein: 5.7g
- saturated fat: 2.4g
- sodium: 80mg
- sugar: 10.1g
- total carbohydrates: 33.3g
- total fat: 12.2g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you taken our In America Survey yet?