Mint Pickled Cucumber Salad
Last updated: February 2022
If you have never made pickles, do not let this recipe scare you away. Making your own pickles is easy and fun; plus, you get to control what goes in them. This simple pickled cucumber salad is a versatile, Mediterranean-inspired side dish that would be great for anything from your work lunch to your next dinner party. The good news the pickles will stay fresh and crunchy in your fridge for several weeks.
I find I have tolerance for feta cheese since it is not made with cow's milk. If this does not work for you, you can omit the cheese.
Makes: 8 servings
Serving size: 1/2 cup pickles, plus garnish
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus overnight pickling)
Cook time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for mint pickled cucumber salad:
For the pickles:
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 large English cucumber
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon dill seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
For the salad (per serving):
- 1/2 cup pickles
- 1 to 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced into a chiffonade
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Directions for mint pickled cucumber salad:
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, salt, and sugar to form a brine. Over medium heat, warm the brine until the sugar and salt dissolve, and the solution is clear about 5 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the solution is cooling, slice the cucumber into 1/4 inch rounds.
- In a quart-sized mason jar or other storage containers, layer the cucumber slices with the mint leaves. Sprinkle the dill seeds, black peppercorns, and mustard seeds into the jar and shake to disperse the spices. If some stick to the cucumbers, do not worry. The spices will redistribute when the brine is added.
- Once the brine has cooled, pour it overtop the cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate for several hours, preferably overnight.
- To build individual salads, transfer 1/2 cup of the pickled cucumbers to a serving dish. Crumble the feta cheese onto the pickles, sprinkle with mint chiffonade, and drizzle the olive oil on top.
- calories: 172
- carbohydrates: 10g
- fat: 9g
- fiber: 1g
- potassium: 50mg
- protein: 5g
- saturated fat: 3g
- sodium: 513mg
- sugar: 1g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you ever tried acupuncture to relieve IBS symptoms?