Marinated Tofu And Roasted Pumpkin Salad
If you are vegetarian and you are following a low FODMAP diet, it doesn't mean you have to miss out on taste.
This salad can be prepared in advance and makes a very satisfying work lunch. This recipe serves 4. Preparation time is 15 minutes and cook time including marinating the tofu is 60 minutes, for a total of 75 minutes. In addition to this time, add 30-60 minutes pressing time, to remove the excess water from the tofu.
Notes: To press the firm tofu, place it uncut inside a clean dishcloth and place a chopping board on top of it. On top of the chopping board place some heavy objects like a heavy pan. Leave it for at least 30 minutes or longer if you have the time. Cut into cubes, ready for marination. If convenient, you can press and marinate the tofu the day before and store in a closed container in the fridge, until ready to cook it.
- 3 cups pumpkin, diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic infused oil (divided)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups firm plain tofu, pressed and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- pinch paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad green
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- optional: 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the diced pumpkin in a bowl and mix it with 2 tablespoons of garlic infused oil, a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Line a baking tray with oven-proof paper.
- Spread the diced pumpkin on the baking tray.
- Roast the pumpkin in the oven for about 30 minutes or until tender, then set aside.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, prepare the tofu marinade by whisking 1 tablespoon garlic infused oil, rice vinegar, tamari sauce, maple syrup, grated ginger, sesame oil, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Put the pressed and cubed tofu into a bowl, pour over the marinade, mix gently and cover the bowl. Refrigerate for about 50 minutes (longer if you have the time).
- Place the marinated tofu with any marination liquid left in the bowl on a frying pan over medium/high heat.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Let the tofu cooled down slightly while you are preparing the mixed salad.
- In a large salad bowl, mix your favorite salad leaves, sliced carrots, add the roasted pumpkin, the tofu and drizzle a little balsamic vinegar.
- Optional: add sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds for extra crunchiness and flavor.
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you think there is enough awareness of IBS?