Low FODMAP Cumin and Thyme Slow-Cooked Chicken
Last updated: February 2022
This hearty, fragrant slow cooker/crockpot meal is perfect for when you don't really feel like cooking as you can put it on to cook while you go off and do other things.
It can be modified for a vegetarian or vegan option by replacing the chicken with 2 cups of tinned chickpeas.
The recipe includes low FODMAP serving sizes of ingredients according to the Monash University Low FODMAP Diet app.
You can also freeze or store any leftovers in the fridge for a couple of days if you are serving less than 6 people, or half the ingredients to serve 3.
Servings: 6, or halve the ingredients to serve 3
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 5.5 hours
Ingredients for slow-cooked chicken recipe:
- 1 kg/2.2lb chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 4 cups Japanese pumpkin, no skin, roughly diced
- 3 cups sweet potato, roughly diced
- 6 medium sized carrots, roughly diced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (tinned)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or use water)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (discard stem)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups of mixed green leafy vegetables, roughly chopped (your choice of low FODMAP options - choy sum, bok choy, spinach, collard greens, silver beet, kale, swiss chard)
- 2 tbs chives, chopped
Directions for slow-cooked chicken recipe:
- Roughly dice the pumpkin, sweet potato and carrots and place in the slow cooker
- Add the chicken, coconut milk, almond milk, water, cumin and turmeric
- Put the lid on and cook on low for 4.5-5 hours until the chicken pulls apart easily and the carrot is soft, at this time the pumpkin should be soft and mushy and will form a sauce when stirred
- Then add the thyme, salt and pepper and cook for a further 30 minutes
- During this time steam or stir fry the green vegetables for a few minutes until slightly soft with a little crunch
- Serve the chicken topped with chives and green vegetables
- calories: 515
- carbohydrates: 36g
- cholesterol: 148mg
- fiber: 7g
- potassium: 1287mg
- protein: 52.8g
- saturated fat: 7.6g
- sodium: 884mg
- total fat: 17.6g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you have trouble trying to balance your diet with multiple illnesses?
Join the conversation