Low FODMAP Cottage Pie
Last updated: April 2022
This is a delicious cottage pie recipe that has been adapted from the original British version to make it FODMAP-friendly. It contains some suitable vegetables, but feel free to substitute with others that you can tolerate.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for low FODMAP cottage pie
- 1 tablespoon onion infused oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused oil
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped (this small quantity of celery per serving is low FODMAP)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons low FODMAP gravy powder (make sure the ingredients are low FODMAP)
- 1 cup beef or vegetable stock
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Ingredients for the mashed potato
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2.2 pounds or about 12 medium size potatoes that are most suitable for mashing, peeled and quartered in even size
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened but not melted (or non-dairy alternative)
- 1 cup lactose free milk, warm to hot (or other low FODMAP non dairy alternatives like rice milk, almond/coconut milk etc.)
Directions for low FODMAP cottage pie
- Heat the onion and garlic infused oils in a large non sticky pan.
- Stir fry the chopped carrot, zucchini and celery stalk for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the minced beef and stir with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps.
- Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add gravy powder and stir well.
- Add stock liquid and stir well.
- Add canned chopped tomato.
- Add thyme.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir well and simmer on low-medium heat for about 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring regularly.
- Spoon meat into a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on the meat.
- Using a pipe or just a spoon cover evenly with mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle the other half of the cheese on the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 390 F fan-forced and cook for around 30 mins, or until the mashed potato topping is of a lovely golden brown colour.
Directions for the mashed potato
- While the meat is cooking, start the mashed potatoes.
- Peel the potatoes and rinse them under cold water.
- In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water, add salt in the water and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer until tender (after approximately 12 minutes insert a knife in one of the potatoes to see if it's cooked all the way through).
- Drain well and mash immediately using a masher.
- Incorporate the butter, using a spoon and stir vigorously.
- Slowly add the hot milk until the right consistency is reached.
- Add salt to taste and set aside for a minute while you put the cooked meat onto a casserole dish.
- calories: 618
- carbohydrates: 30.1g
- cholesterol: 163mg
- fiber: 4.1g
- potassium: 587mg
- protein: 45.8g
- saturated fat: 16g
- sodium: 1936mg
- sugars: 7.3g
- total fat: 29.5g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you suffer from IBS-C, IBS-D, or IBS-Mixed/Alternating?