Low FODMAP Cottage Pie
This is a delicious cottage pie recipe that has been adapted from the original British version to make it FODMAP Friendly. It contains some suitable vegetables, but feel free to substitute with others that you can tolerate.
This recipe serves 8. Preparation time is 40 minutes and cook time is 30 minutes, for a total of 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Ingredients for low FODMAP cottage pie
- 1 tablespoon onion infused oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused oil
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped (this small quantity of celery per serving is low FODMAP)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons low FODMAP gravy powder (make sure the ingredients are low FODMAP)
- 1 cup beef or vegetable stock
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Ingredients for the mashed potato
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2.2 pounds or about 12 medium size potatoes that are most suitable for mashing, peeled and quartered in even size
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened but not melted (or non-dairy alternative)
- 1 cup lactose free milk, warm to hot (or other low FODMAP non dairy alternatives like rice milk, almond/coconut milk etc.)
Directions for low FODMAP cottage pie
- Heat the onion and garlic infused oils in a large non sticky pan.
- Stir fry the chopped carrot, zucchini and celery stalk for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the minced beef and stir with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps.
- Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add gravy powder and stir well.
- Add stock liquid and stir well.
- Add canned chopped tomato.
- Add thyme.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir well and simmer on low-medium heat for about 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring regularly.
- Spoon meat into a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on the meat.
- Using a pipe or just a spoon cover evenly with mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle the other half of the cheese on the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 390 F fan-forced and cook for around 30 mins, or until the mashed potato topping is of a lovely golden brown colour.
Directions for the mashed potato
- While the meat is cooking, start the mashed potatoes.
- Peel the potatoes and rinse them under cold water.
- In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water, add salt in the water and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer until tender (after approximately 12 minutes insert a knife in one of the potatoes to see if it's cooked all the way through).
- Drain well and mash immediately using a masher.
- Incorporate the butter, using a spoon and stir vigorously.
- Slowly add the hot milk until the right consistency is reached.
- Add salt to taste and set aside for a minute while you put the cooked meat onto a casserole dish.
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you ever had a public IBS accident?