Kabocha Squash & Lime Soup
This hearty soup is low FODMAP, gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. It is best made using an immersion blender (hand stick) or regular blender after cooking ingredients. Kabocha is a sweet-tasting Japanese winter squash, whose texture and the taste is similar to roasted chestnuts. This soup can be enjoyed warm or cold. I rarely skip adding citrus to soups. It gives it that final flavor boost needed for a satisfying dish. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that appear to be beneficial to gut health.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients for kabocha squash and lime soup
- ½ large or 1 medium kabocha squash (3 lbs)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ribs celery, rough chopped
- 1-2 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- Fresh lime juice – squeezed from 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Optional garnish: squeeze of lime, fresh cilantro, pomegranate seeds
Directions for kabocha squash and lime soup
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash vegetables. Scoop seeds and stringy insides out of the squash. Use a large, sharp knife to carefully cut the squash into a few large pieces. Make sure the squash is stable on your cutting board by placing the flat side down.
- Place squash pieces on a foil-lined roasting pan or baking dish. Rub 1 tbsp olive oil all over them.
- Position squash pieces skin side up on the pan. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until flesh is soft and fork-tender. Remove from oven to rest.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium. Add chopped celery and turn heat to medium-low. Cook covered until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in ginger and optional cumin. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove squash skin and add squash flesh into pot. Add stock, salt, and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, then cook on low partially covered for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender (or work in batches with stand blender) to purée until smooth and creamy. Stir in lime juice and pulse a couple of times.
- Add extra salt to taste. An optional squeeze of lime juice and chopped cilantro to serve.
- calories: 220
- carbohydrates: 33g
- fat: 10g
- fiber: 5g
- potassium: 996mg
- protein: 3g
- saturated fat: 1.5g
- sodium: 1100mg
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you have difficulties with setting boundaries and saying no?