IBS-Friendly Quinoa Vegetable Salad
Lately, I have been experimenting with recipes that are filling, yet don’t require much or any meat at all. This is a great recipe for IBS sufferers who are trying to cut down on eating meat, and are also looking to incorporate healthier meals into their daily lives. However, for those that still want to add a savory component to the dish, it pairs very well with crispy turkey bacon. It’s easy to make, pretty much in line with low FODMAP restrictions, so you can enjoy this dish for either lunch or dinner. Please give it a try and let us know what you think!
Ingredients for quinoa vegetable salad
- 2 cups of butternut squash, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/8 cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup quinoa, drained and washed
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup chicken stock (Homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup of baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup of baby kale leaves
- (Optional) 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ small green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ small yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots
- ½ tsp. of dried thyme
- Half of lemon, squeezed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (Optional) Garnish with cooked turkey bacon bits
Directions for quinoa vegetable salad
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the cubes of butternut squash and the red, yellow, and green bell peppers onto a baking sheet. Drizzle them with the tbsp. of olive oil, toss make sure they are well coated and bake for about 25 minutes, or until tender and lightly brown. About halfway through cooking, make sure to move the vegetables around so they cook evenly. Once done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
- Pour the water, chicken stock, and quinoa into a sauce pan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Then reduce the heat and make sure to stir occasionally for about 10-15 minutes, or until liquid is fully absorbed and quinoa is tender. Once done, set aside to cool down.
- Once all of your ingredients are cooled to room temperature, in a large bowl, combine the quinoa, squash, pepper, spinach, kale, tomatoes, carrots, and dried thyme.
- Add the 1/8 cup of oil and lemon juice, then toss the salad to mix.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
- Feel free to refrigerate for later, or serve immediately. Enjoy!
- calories: 250
- carbohydrates: 33.4g
- fiber: 5.9g
- potassium: 712mg
- protein: 5.9g
- saturated fat: 1.7g
- sodium: 151mg
- total fat: 12g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you cancel plans often due to IBS?