Green Beans with Spiced Pecans
Last updated: May 2022
Green beans used to be an afterthought – an overcooked, dull green, old-school choice that you could buy frozen or in a TV dinner. Now, these bright lengthy pods are staging a comeback as a highly sought-out favorite at the farmer’s market. Don’t limit yourself to traditional green either. Green beans also come in purple, yellow, and a combination of yellow and purple, known as Dragon Tongue beans. Just as important, they contain important phytonutrients such as beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which provide anti-inflammatory properties.
Don’t let pumpkin pie spice go to waste until next fall, this spice adds sweet and savory flair to a variety of dishes, and nice compliments curry. Adding nuts rounds out this dish, by adding texture.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for green beans with spiced pecans
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp sunflower seed oil
- 2/3 cup raw pecans
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice (can also use a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or allspice)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
Directions for green beans with spiced pecans
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350° F.
- Rinse vegetables. In a small bowl, mix pecans, curry powder, spices, and ½ tsp oil until pecans are evenly coated.
- Spread pecan mixture onto small baking sheet or dish, and roast for about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until toasted and fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- Fill a medium-sized bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Steam string beans: Fill a medium-sized pot with water bring to a boil. Place string beans in a steamer basket and steam for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain string beans and place in an ice-water bath.
- In a large pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add string beans and sauté for 1 minute. Add balsamic, salt, and pepper, and sauté 1 for 1 minute, until liquid is evaporated. Mix in toasted pecans and saute for 1 minute more.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- calories: 220
- carbohydrates: 15g
- fat: 16g
- fiber: 6g
- potassium: 505mg
- protein: 8g
- saturated fat: 3g
- sodium: 595mg
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you have trouble trying to balance your diet with multiple illnesses?
Join the conversation