Green Beans with Spiced Pecans
Last updated: May 2022
Green beans used to be an afterthought – an overcooked, dull green, old-school choice that you could buy frozen or in a TV dinner. Now, these bright lengthy pods are staging a comeback as a highly sought-out favorite at the farmer’s market. Don’t limit yourself to traditional green either. Green beans also come in purple, yellow, and a combination of yellow and purple, known as Dragon Tongue beans. Just as important, they contain important phytonutrients such as beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which provide anti-inflammatory properties.
Don’t let pumpkin pie spice go to waste until next fall, this spice adds sweet and savory flair to a variety of dishes, and nice compliments curry. Adding nuts rounds out this dish, by adding texture.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for green beans with spiced pecans
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp sunflower seed oil
- 2/3 cup raw pecans
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice (can also use a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or allspice)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
Directions for green beans with spiced pecans
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350° F.
- Rinse vegetables. In a small bowl, mix pecans, curry powder, spices, and ½ tsp oil until pecans are evenly coated.
- Spread pecan mixture onto small baking sheet or dish, and roast for about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until toasted and fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- Fill a medium-sized bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Steam string beans: Fill a medium-sized pot with water bring to a boil. Place string beans in a steamer basket and steam for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain string beans and place in an ice-water bath.
- In a large pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add string beans and sauté for 1 minute. Add balsamic, salt, and pepper, and sauté 1 for 1 minute, until liquid is evaporated. Mix in toasted pecans and saute for 1 minute more.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- calories: 220
- carbohydrates: 15g
- fat: 16g
- fiber: 6g
- potassium: 505mg
- protein: 8g
- saturated fat: 3g
- sodium: 595mg
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Which of the following symptoms of IBS do you experience most frequently?