Green Beans and Potatoes with Tomato Sauce
Last updated: May 2023
When I'm in Italy, I'm blessed to have an (almost) unlimited amount of veggies from my mum's garden. One of the most fruitful plants is green beans. We collect a huge amount of it, but unfortunately, since I started experiencing IBS, I had to cut down the amount I was used to eating.
Luckily it is still low FODMAP at around 2.6 oz, which is good if accompanied by other veggies. The good part of having your veggie garden is that you can eat in-season vegetables but freeze them for the winter.
I lived for a few months in the United States and had the chance to travel there many times, and I realized that I've always seen green beans that were just boiled. I don't find them attractive to eat when it's cold outside.
During winter, my mum always cooked me green beans with potatoes in tomato sauce. Just heartwarming and delicious for the colder days.
Mixing them with potatoes is perfect so you can have veggies and carbs on the same plate, and don't make you realize you have a small side dish.
I must admit that green beans don't bother my gut as much as garlic or leek do, so I'm glad I have the chance to indulge a little bit more.
Please remember that we tend to cook veggies in Italy more than in the US. We love them more tender. Hence, if you prefer them more crunchy, reduce the cooking time to your personal taste.
It's a very easy recipe and super affordable. You need a few ingredients and an hour of your time. It does not look good, but trust me, with amazing taste!
Makes: 4 servings
Serving size: a serving each
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: around 45 minutes
Ingredients for green beans and potatoes with tomato sauce:
- 10 oz of tomato sauce of peeled tomatoes in a can
- 20 oz of green beans
- 14 oz of potatoes
- 1 tbsp of coarse salt
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 spoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions for green beans and potatoes with tomato sauce:
- Put a pan of water to boil
- Wash and remove the ends of the green beans
- Wash and peel the potatoes
- Add a tbsp of coarse salt to the boiling water and add the beans for 10 minutes
- In the meantime, in a pan add the olive oil and the clove of garlic
- Brown the garlic and add the potatoes
- Remove the garlic
- Drain the green beans and add them to the pan with the potatoes.
- Add the tomato sauce or the peeled tomatoes
- Add pepper, salt, and oregano
- Cook for about half an hour, add water if needed
- calories: 249
- dietary fiber: 8.3g
- potassium: 935mg
- protein: 5.2g
- saturated fat: 2.1g
- sodium: 386mg
- sugars: 6.1g
- total carbohydrates: 29.5g
- total fat: 14.4g
Disclaimer: IrritableBowelSyndrome.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Which of the following symptoms of IBS do you experience most frequently?