Gluten-Free Buffalo Chickpea Salad Sandwich with Feta
This chickpea salad sandwich is so tasty! You can enjoy it with sourdough bread or your favorite toasted gluten-free bread. If you’re following low FODMAP, limit your garbanzo beans to 1/4 cup and add in cucumbers and green leafy veggies to boost satiety. For those trying to eat more plants on an IBS diet, sandwiches make the transition easier. Goat cheese can be substituted for feta if you prefer a creamier, tart, and more earthy flavor.
Servings: 2 sandwiches
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- One carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 Tbsp buffalo hot sauce (plus more to taste)
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 slices gluten-free sandwich bread, toasted
- Optional add-ons: cucumber, salad greens, and 1/4 of an avocado
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Use the back of a fork to lightly mash the chickpeas into the other ingredients. Stir well until yogurt and mayo are fully incorporated.
- Line 1 slice of sandwich bread with chopped greens or cucumber and sliced avocado. Scoop ~2/3 cup chickpea salad on top.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Close and press down gently.
- Slice in half or eat whole.
- calories: 430
- carbohydrates: 64g
- cholesterol: 15mg
- fat: 14g
- fiber: 10g
- protein: 16g
- saturated fat: 3.5g
- sodium: 970mg
- sugars: 15g
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you think there is enough awareness of IBS?