Creamy Tofu Saag Paneer
Spice up your life with this scrumptious, vegetarian tofu dish! Spices like turmeric, ginger, and coriander are powerful antioxidants, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory, which will enrich not just your dish but also your health. Tofu is nutritious and packed with protein, and 2/3 cups of tofu can be part of a low FODMAP diet. Stick to the extra firm, because the high-water content of silken tofu makes it a high FODMAP food.1 Enjoy with a side of mashed curried sweet potatoes.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb spinach, rough chopped
- 1 cup kale, rough chopped
- ½ cup 2% Greek yogurt or lactose-free
- 1 block extra-firm tofu.
- 1.5 Tbsp canola oil (or other neutral veggie oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced or grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper
- Optional basmati rice, for serving
- Drain and squeeze excess water from tofu. Place tofu in between clean kitchen towels and press down with a book to help speed up draining. Then cut into ½” cubes.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, and ginger. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in red bell pepper and ground spices. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add lemon juice and water and stir.
- Fold in spinach and kale, and continue to cook until greens are wilted.
- Mix in Greek yogurt until fully incorporated.
- Turn off heat and transfer ½ of the mixture to a blender or bowl with an immersion blender. Puree until smooth. Return the puree back to the pot and mix back in over medium heat.
- Stir in the tofu chunks. Simmer on low for 10 minutes more.
- This can be served immediately, though resting for a few hours will bring out the optimal flavor.
- Serve over fluffy rice or grain of choice.
- Iacovou M. Tofu & FODMAPs. A blog by Monash FODMAP | The experts in diet for IBS - Monash Fodmap. https://www.monashfodmap.com/blog/talking-tofu/. Published December 10, 2015. Accessed April 9, 2020.
- carbohydrates: 8g
- fat: 8g
- fiber: 3g
- potassium: 633mg
- protein: 12g
- saturated fat: 1g
- sodium: 460mg
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Did you make any New Year's goals or resolutions?