Chocolate Sun Butter Truffles
When it comes to IBS, portion size matters for trigger ingredients; for example, in these tasty truffles, the sweetener is a combination of FODMAP-friendly maple syrup and sugar-sweetened semi-sweet dark chocolate chips. The dates, however, are high in fructose, but they only make up a small part of the recipe but still help add to the needed creamy texture.
When baking or buying baked goods, keep a journal on how you tolerate different ingredients. This way, you won't miss out on foods you could eat and enjoy!
Serving size: 20 truffles
Prep time: 10 minutes + 1 hour refrigeration
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 2 Medjool dates
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup smooth sunflower seed butter (or any nut/seed butter), unsweetened - mix well
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
- 8 oz semi-sweet dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate pieces
- 2 tsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- Sea salt (optional topping)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional for dusting)
- Toothpicks (a skewer or fork can work instead)
- Soak dates in ¼ cup warm water for 5-10 minutes to soften.
- In a bullet or high-speed blender, add soaked dates, maple syrup, sunflower seed butter, almond milk, and oat flour. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a small glass or ceramic bowl and freeze for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for about 30 min.), until it is a slightly firm, doughy texture (you want to be able to scoop into a ball-like shape)
- While the filling is chilling, line a baking tray or dish with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Place chocolate in a bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, removing to stir in between, until chocolate is soft and melty. Add in vegan butter and whisk well until smooth, liquid consistency.
- Remove filling from the freezer. Using a melon baller or teaspoon, scoop small balls and place them on the parchment paper. Using a toothpick, skewer, or fork, dip each ball in the chocolate, swirling gently to coat. Repeat until all of the filling has been scooped and dipped. Sprinkle some with optional sea salt.
- Place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, or until chocolate shell has hardened. Dust some in optional cocoa powder.
- These are delicious stored cold in the refrigerator, or in the freezer as a tasty frozen treat (or thawed for 5-10 minutes to room temp).
- calories: 120
- carbohydrates: 13g
- fat: 8g
- fiber: 1g
- protein: 2g
- saturated fat: 2.5g
- sodium: 30mg
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you think there is enough awareness of IBS?