Chocolate Sun Butter Truffles
When it comes to IBS, portion size matters for trigger ingredients; for example, in these tasty truffles, the sweetener is a combination of FODMAP-friendly maple syrup and sugar-sweetened semi-sweet dark chocolate chips. The dates, however, are high in fructose, but they only make up a small part of the recipe but still help add to the needed creamy texture.
When baking or buying baked goods, keep a journal on how you tolerate different ingredients. This way, you won't miss out on foods you could eat and enjoy!
Serving size: 20 truffles
Prep time: 10 minutes + 1 hour refrigeration
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 2 Medjool dates
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup smooth sunflower seed butter (or any nut/seed butter), unsweetened - mix well
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
- 8 oz semi-sweet dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate pieces
- 2 tsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- Sea salt (optional topping)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional for dusting)
- Toothpicks (a skewer or fork can work instead)
- Soak dates in ¼ cup warm water for 5-10 minutes to soften.
- In a bullet or high-speed blender, add soaked dates, maple syrup, sunflower seed butter, almond milk, and oat flour. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a small glass or ceramic bowl and freeze for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for about 30 min.), until it is a slightly firm, doughy texture (you want to be able to scoop into a ball-like shape)
- While the filling is chilling, line a baking tray or dish with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Place chocolate in a bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, removing to stir in between, until chocolate is soft and melty. Add in vegan butter and whisk well until smooth, liquid consistency.
- Remove filling from the freezer. Using a melon baller or teaspoon, scoop small balls and place them on the parchment paper. Using a toothpick, skewer, or fork, dip each ball in the chocolate, swirling gently to coat. Repeat until all of the filling has been scooped and dipped. Sprinkle some with optional sea salt.
- Place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, or until chocolate shell has hardened. Dust some in optional cocoa powder.
- These are delicious stored cold in the refrigerator, or in the freezer as a tasty frozen treat (or thawed for 5-10 minutes to room temp).
- calories: 120
- carbohydrates: 13g
- fat: 8g
- fiber: 1g
- protein: 2g
- saturated fat: 2.5g
- sodium: 30mg
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you live with any sleep disorders (eg. insomnia, RLS, sleep apnea) in addition to IBS?