Antidepressants for IBS
Written by: Emily Downward | Last reviewed: July 2019
- Lacy BE, Chey WD, Lembo AJ. New and emerging treatment options for irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 2015 Apr;11(4 Suppl 2):1-19.
- Wilkins T, Pepitone C, Alex B, Schade RR. Diagnosis and management of IBS in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2012 Sep 1;86(5):419-26.
- Dalton C, Drossman DA. The use of antidepressants in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome and other functional GI disorders, UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders. Accessed online on 3/16/16 at https://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/files/educational-gi-handouts/IBS%20and%20Antidepressants.pdf.
- Tricyclic antidepressants, Mayo Clinic. Accessed online on 3/16/16 at http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/antidepressants/art-20046983.
- Creed F. How do SSRIs help patients with irritable bowel syndrome? Gut. 2006 Aug;55(8):1065-1067.
- Grover M, Drossman DA. Psychopharmacologic and behavioral treatments for functional gastrointestinal disorders. Gastrointest Endoscopy Clin N Am. 2009;19:151-170.