How I Deal With It

Hey everyone! I’m 18 years old and I’ve been suffering from IBS for more than 3 years. At first I didn’t realize I had it, just thought it was something temporary.

Anyways, with time I learned to live with it despite the difficulties. What I usually do to make it better: I usually take some medicines that help stop the pain, most of it, try not to eat food that provokes gas since that is the worst time I can do. And another thing that helps me in my case is to place for example a hot towel where it hurts, normally I don’t feel it for a while.

For those who are in this community with this problem, I feel totally free to talk to you. It’s important to share our experiences to support each other and eventually new members who are suffering as well.

For me one of the main problems is that I’m usually nervous and always thinking about it or when will it start. But thanks to the support that I have, I can distract myself which helps a lot.

How frequently do I have pain attacks?

At first I had them very often, but when I stopped drinking milk or eating cheese, it helped a lot. Now, normally I have once a week but most of them aren’t so painful.

One of the most important things is to have someone to support or talk to, or to have something you like to do to distract yourself.

For those you feel the same as me, I just want you to know that: whatever happens, the best or the worst, you’re never alone. In here people know how you feel and many will support you!

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The IrritableBowelSyndrome.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Comments

View Comments (9)
  • squid
    7 months ago

Hi! I’m the same age and have been experiencing symptoms but have not gotten any answers from doctors. I was just wondering what your symptoms are? I keep assuming the worst and could really use some reassurance.

• Steph
    8 months ago

Hi I’m the same age as you and it feels good to know that there are other people that are young that have it and I’ve been dealing with it four about 3 years.

• StrongerThanIBS
    8 months ago

Hi @snowman I’m also 18 and suffering with this. I’ve had it for about 4 1/2 years but only recently discovered that it could be IBS. I’m starting the FODMAP diet, and I encourage anyone with IBS to try this as well.
    If you need any support or just to talk, we are here for you so don’t hesitate to reach out!

• Snowman author
    8 months ago

Thank you for your support, if you or anyone needs support or just company, fell free to reach me!

• StrongerThanIBS
    8 months ago

thank you! Its nice to see someone in my age group who has suffered with this. Although im very sorry that you are 🙁 most people dont understand what IBS sufferers feel, and brush it off when its a real problem!
    Sending prayers your way!

• Becky Oleson moderator
    8 months ago

Hi Snowman, this is great that you are not only reaching out for support, but also providing it to those who can relate. You are so right that one of the best things we can do for ourselves is to talk about what’s happening with others. It helps so much just to know that we’re not alone. Thanks for sharing the tips that work for you, too. The hot towel sounds like a fantastic technique. I’ll have to try it, too! So glad to have you in this community. -Becky, IrritableBowelSyndrome.net team member

• Snowman author
    8 months ago

Thank you, I’m glad I can help others.

• Chris Hall moderator
    8 months ago

Thanks so much for these words of encouragement, @snowman! Despite the numerous setbacks associated with IBS, I’m glad to see that you’re staying positive and that you have great support. Thanks for taking the time to share more about yourself! – Chris, IrritableBowelSyndrome.net Team Member

• Snowman author
    8 months ago

Thank you. More than speaking out, I feel very happy to be able to share all of these with other people who, unlike some people, understand me and don’t judge! Have a great day!

• Poll