Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer
A Dose of My Own Medicine Part 2

A Dose of My Own Medicine Part 2

In August, I wrote about my history with IBS-D and the knowledge and support I have gleaned from my friend who lives with severe celiac disease. Since August, I have endured a Colonoscopy that resulted in a pre-cancerous polyp being removed and a referral to a Colorectal Surgeon for treatment of several internal hemorrhoids inside my colon causing rectal bleeding and pain. The IBS-D I have lived with most of my life is to blame for the hemorrhoids. In a series of procedures, the surgeon banded the hemorrhoids which cuts off the blood supply to them and they are expelled during bowel movements. This procedure is not painless but far less invasive and painful than having them surgically removed.

The surgeon has very little patience when her advice of diet changes, adding fiber and drinking more water is not adhered to. After all these procedures, she has my attention! I have removed dairy and gluten and as much sugar as possible from my diet. I use Ghee, bacon drippings, duck fat and healthy oils in place of butter. I have eliminated fried foods and fast foods. Other food and beverage triggers I have eliminated are orange juice, (unless fresh squeezed), beer, and desserts except for sorbet. I am eating more seafood and chicken and less red meat. Gluten-free bread and pasta as well as quinoa and rice have replaced the gluten based products. I am drinking more water and have added a fiber supplement to my daily regimen.

You may wonder if all these procedures and diet changes have improved my health. My answer is a definite YES! Is my IBS-D gone? NO and I don’t expect it to be. But episodes are much less frequent. When I go shopping, I still make sure I know where the nearest restroom is located. I wouldn’t be surprised if the clerks at my favorite grocery and department stores reserve my space in their restroom facilities when they seem me come in to their stores. Traveling can be a challenge with IBS-D but I am learning to read menu’s very carefully, and not succumb to cravings that I know will cause a big problem.

All in all I am feeling more “normal,” not knowing what normal really is. I am guessing you all can relate to my situation, as I can with yours. This community has been very helpful for me to not feel as much of the shame that goes with IBS. Although I don’t know you I have deep empathy for what you live with day by day. It’s a work in progress for all of us.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The IrritableBowelSyndrome.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Comments

• LisaFletcher
    1 year ago

Anyone at any age can be affected by hemorrhoids. They are very common, with about 50% of people experiencing them at some time in their life.They can be treated using venapro hemorrhoids relief.

• technical1
    2 years ago

Hi Rann1950 –
    Although I have struggled with IBS-D for most of my life, since I was about 10 or so, now am close to 44, it has in the past several weeks really ramped up to the point it has taken a chokehold on me for sometimes 1 or 2 days at a time. Frequent loose bowel movements, tons of gas and abdominal pain and pressure. Didn’t know really where to turn, so went to my general doctor on Monday. I was rather scared because I developed an autoimmune disease back in 2006 called Sarcoidosis, it can affect multiple organs, but generally the lungs, which is where mine developed. After a lot of testing and finally surgery, I underwent steroid therapy to knock it out. Being autoimmune, it can manifest itself in other organs, or I am at greater risk of developing another autoimmune disease such as one that might affect the GI tract. I thought about Crohn’s, IBD, lots of things enter your mind when you are suffering from something new and worrisome. For the past several weeks, there has rarely been a time that I haven’t had some form of intestinal disturbance. I do have acid reflux, but have been on Protonix for a number of years to control that.

So, back to Monday at the doctor’s office. He did a once-over on my belly, determining where it hurt and what organs to rule out. I was always rather sure it was intestinal related as my lower left abdomen felt bloated and hurt. He said my bowel was very ‘active’, and then he sent me for an x-ray, luckily right in the office. He was ruling out an obstruction. X-ray was ok, so he gave me samples of Viberzi (a new IBS-D medicine that I’m sure this group is well aware of) and Align probiotic capsules which I started yesterday to try and get my body under control again. Like I say, all I’ve really suffered from is occasional diarrhea and some gas, but this has been intense lately. I’ve had a few colonoscopies in my life, and do have one hemorrhoid to deal with. Luckily all scopes have been clear of polyps, unlike my mother, who had quite a few in the few scopes she had before she passed away a couple of years ago. She suffered from IBS-D very badly, and medicines never really worked.

I also have tested out some components of my diet. Funny thing, some days I can tolerate dairy just fine, and other days I might have a bowl of cereal and a few minutes later its like a bomb went off in my belly. I do have some stressors in my life, no doubt we all do in one form or another. i suffer from a neurological disease that’s not easy at times, and some financial woes in paying for some expensive experimental treatments that worked only short-term for the muscle/nerve issues I have had for nearly 9 years.

So, I hunted around the internet, and came upon this website and decided to join. Try to get some information, and stories from people who have suffered and suffer as I have, and also gain some support from others, share experiences, etc.

Regards,
    Eric

• Rann1950 author
    2 years ago

Hello Eric,
    Our journey’s through life can be filled with heartbreak and stress medically, professionally and emotionally. How we tackle these situations defines our daily lives and attitudes. With all you have been through and are experiencing your outlook and desire to seek guidance and support shows an inner strength that we can all look up to and emulate.

This site, its resources and especially the community of people are here to support you and I hope you find it a stepping stone to healing in mind, heart and body as I have.

Roberta

• Chris Hall moderator
    2 years ago

Hi Eric,

I’m so sorry to hear about the struggles you’ve endured over the years—it sounds like it’s been quite the journey. We’re so happy that you came upon this site and became a member. I can confidently say that you’ve come to the right place. Here, you’ll find an engaged community made up of many people that can personally relate to your experiences. It looks like you’ve viewed some of our user stories, so I’d like to share a few more links with you based on what you mentioned in your comment:

Additionally, we encourage you to submit your own user story based on your experiences with IBS-D.

Thank you so much for joining our community!

-Chris (IrritableBowelSyndrome Team Member)

• Hannah Noonan moderator
    3 years ago

Hi Rann1950,

Thank you for the update, I’m so happy to hear that the procedure went well and the dietary changes are making a difference! I find this community helpful too and it’s so nice to be understood by others that are going through similar experiences. Thank you for sharing your story with us, it definitely helps us all!

– Hannah (www.IrritableBowelSyndrome.net Team)

• technical1
    2 years ago

Thank you two for replying. I’ve had a rough couple days and we had a nasty windstorm that knocked out power to 1/3 of the state, hard hit in my town in West Michigan. Just wanted to let you know I haven’t dropped out of sight. I’ll write much more soon, just a bit tired right now, its been a crazy week.

Thanks again,