Strawberry Ginger Citrus Tea
Finding sweet drinks that don’t trigger my symptoms is really difficult. Most of the juices or teas on sale at the store contain tons of high-fructose corn syrup, which can be hard for IBS sufferers to digest. I notice every time I drink cranberry juice from the supermarket, my stomach starts to cramp automatically. So I started making my own tea recipes with all natural ingredients so that I can enjoy a nice refreshing drink without feeling pain after. As you will notice in the recipe below, I used lemon ginger tea bags as the foundation of my drink. I really wanted to include ginger because it soothes my stomach and is known to have many health benefits. What’s great about this beverage is that when I have friends over, I can serve them a drink that they would like but that also won’t affect me as bad as sugary drinks from the store. Try out this recipe if you’re looking for an alternative drink that will help soothe your tummy and everyone can enjoy.
About 3-4 Servings
- ½ cup of fresh strawberries cut into small pieces
- 4 tea bags of Ginger Lemon Tea with Probiotics (Bigelow)
- (optional) 1 inch piece of fresh cut ginger for “zing”
- Juice from 1 whole lemon
- Juice from 1 whole lime
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 2 cups of water
- Honey to taste
- Ice as needed
- Optional: tonic water
- Bring water to a boil in a pot
- Then add the tea bags, extra ginger root (if desired), and cinnamon stick to the water and immediately turn the stove off. Let the tea bags steep for 3-4 minutes and remove them. Let the remaining ingredients steep and cool for about 15 minutes.
- While these ingredients are steeping, crush the strawberry pieces in a pitcher (or container).
- Add the lemon and lime juice, along with the honey to the strawberries and mix.
- Once the tea mixture is cooled to about room temperature, pour it over the strawberry mix and stir. Let this mixture settle and cool in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, fill a cup with ice and pour the strawberry ginger citrus tea over the ice.
- Optional: add some tonic water to the glass to make the drink “fizzy” and/or add extra honey to taste
- Serve and enjoy!