Low FODMAP Christmas Pavlova
Pavlova is one of Australian's favorite desserts, especially for Christmas and birthdays. The base is made of meringue, which is generally crisp on the outside with a soft marshmallowy type center. The meringue is then topped with whipped cream and your favorite fruits, personally, I like mixed berries.
In Australia, the Pavlova meringue can be bought from many supermarkets, for this reason, I don't often make it from scratch, but if you can't find it ready and have time, try to prepare it a few hours in advance. To avoid a lot of cracking on the crust, once cooked, turn the oven off, but leave the meringue in the oven to cool down slowly.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Special note: Cool down the meringue completely before adding the whipped cream and fruit and only add them when ready to serve.
- 6 medium eggs white, separate straight from the fridge, then keep at room temperature
- 1.5 cup very fine (caster) sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups thickened cream for whipping
- Dark choc chips, melted
- 8 strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 tablespoon blueberries
- 2 tablespoons raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- With a pencil draw a circle of about 9-10 inch (or use a cake pan as a guide). Flip the baking sheet onto the other side, so that the pencil mark won't transfer onto the meringue, as long as you can still see the circle and use it as a guide.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites, starting at slow speed and slowly increasing the speed until firm.
- With the mixer still on high, gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff and glossy.
- Sprinkle the sifted cornflour, lemon juice (or white vinegar) and vanilla essence and fold in gently with a spatula.
- Pile the mixture onto the baking paper, shaping it inside the circle that was previously drawn.
- Place in the oven and turn the oven down to 250 F. Bake for 1 and 1/2 hour or until crisp on the outside.
- Turn oven off and leave pavlova to cool down, with the oven door slightly open.
Directions for the Pavlova topping
- Once the pavlova has cooled down and you are ready to serve it, invert it on a cake stand or large plate and peel the baking sheet carefully and place the meringue.
- Melt the dark choc chips in the microwave and drizzle it over the pavlova
- Wait for the chocolate to solidify or put in the fridge for a few minutes
- Whip the cream until it thickens.
- Spread the cream on the top of the meringue and decorate with fruit.
- calories: 467
- carbohydrates: 49.6g
- fiber: 0.4g
- potassium: 70mg
- protein: 5.3g
- sodium: 47mg
- total fat: 27.4g
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you ever had a public IBS accident?