As IBS sufferers, we have to be particularly careful with what we put in our bodies because there are many things that can trigger our symptoms. It’s a struggle trying to commit to a restrictive diet, and it’s not fun when you feel like you’re eating the same things over and over. Here’s an IBS friendly burger recipe I came up with that many of you can find enjoyable and easy on the stomach.
- 1 head of Romaine Lettuce (or any lettuce of choice, the sturdier the better)
- (optional) Gluten free buns or potato bread buns
- 3-4 premade turkey patties (feel free to buy frozen ones or make your own, whichever is more convenient for you)
- Slices of lactose free cheese, or any cheese of your choosing
- Slices of red tomato
- Chili powder
- 2 Tbsps. of oil
- (Optional) 3-4 eggs
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Season the patties with pinches of chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and oregano
- Add the turkey patties to the heated skillet and cook on medium to high heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side. Patties should be brown on each side.
- While the patties are cooking, set up the romaine lettuce on a plate to serve as the burger buns (or use buns of your choosing).
- Bring the heat down on the skillet to medium and then add the slices of cheese to the burger and cover for about a minute.
- When the burgers finished cooking, place them onto lettuce/buns.
- (Optional) Clean the skillet out and place back on the stove over medium to high heat.
- Then fry your eggs to your liking and then place on top of the burgers.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and condiments of your choosing.
My personal review: I felt that the lettuce as a bun was too slippery, so you may prefer to eat it with a knife and fork. However, overall the burgers are seasoned very well and were juicy. I really like this recipe and I will definitely recreate more often.
Comment below if you have tried this recipe and let us know what you think!
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.