Written by: Emily Downward | Last reviewed: September 2018
- Medications for IBS, International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD). Accessed online on 3/17/16 at http://www.aboutibs.org/site/treatment/medications/.
- Wilkins T, Pepitone C, Alex B, Schade RR. Diagnosis and management of IBS in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2012 Sep 1;86(5):419-26.
- Sayuk GS, Gyawali CP. Irritable bowel syndrome: modern concepts and management options. Am J Med. 2015 Aug;128(8):817-27
- Irritable bowel syndrome, Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Accessed online on 3/17/16 at http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/related-illnesses/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs.
- Mental health medications. National Institute of Mental Health. Accessed online on 3/17/16 at http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/mental-health-medications/index.shtml#part_149857.
- Clouse, RE. Antidepressants for irritable bowel syndrome. Gut. 2003 Apr;52(4):598-599.
- Lacy BE, Chey WD, Lembo AJ. New and emerging treatment options for irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 2015 Apr;11(4 Suppl 2):1-19.
- Creed F. How do SSRIs help patients with irritable bowel syndrome? Gut. 2006 Aug;55(8):1065-1067.
- Dalton C, Drossman DA. The use of antidepressants in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome and other functional GI disorders, UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders. Accessed online on 3/16/16 at https://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/files/educational-gi-handouts/IBS%20and%20Antidepressants.pdf.