Decoding Stigma in IBS – The Importance of Story Telling
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The IrritableBowelSyndrome.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Mearin, Fermin & Lacy, Brian E. Diagnostic criteria in IBS: useful or not? Neurogastroenterology & Motility 2012; 24: 791-801. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2982.2012.01992.x
- Taft, T. H., Riehl, M.E., Dowjotas, K.L., & Keefer, L. Moving beyond perceptions: internalized stigma in the irritable bowel syndrome. Neurogastroenterology & Motility 2014; 26: 1026-1035. doi: 10.1111/nmo.12357
- Jones, Michael P. et al. Development and initial validation of a measure of perceived stigma in irritable bowel syndrome. Psychology, Health & Medicine 2009; 14(3): 367-374. doi: 10.1080/13548500902865956
- Occhipinti, Kaitlin & Smith, James W. Irritable bowel syndrome: A review and update. Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery 2012; 25: 46-52. doi: 10.1055/s-0032-1301759
- Fedorak et al. Canadian digestive health foundation public impact series 3: Irritable bowel syndrome in Canada. Incidence, prevalence, and direct and indirect economic impact. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology 2012; 26(5): 252-256