Is IBS an Autoimmune Disorder?
- Lacy BE, Chey WD, Lembo AJ. New and emerging treatment options for irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 2015;11(4 Suppl 2):1-19.
- MedlinePlus. Autoimmune disorders. Accessed July 20, 2016 at: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000816.htm.
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Learn about common autoimmune disorders. Accessed July 20, 2016 at: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/autoimmune/Pages/diseases.aspx#
- International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. Functional GI Disorders. Accessed 7/14/16 at: http://www.iffgd.org/gi-disorders/functional-gi-disorders.html.
- Wilkins T, Pepitone C, Alex B, Schade RR. Diagnosis and management of IBS in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2012;86:419-426.
- Celiac Disease Foundation. What is celiac disease? Accessed July 20, 2016 at: https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/what-is-celiac-disease/
- Quigley EM. Overlapping irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease: less to this than meets the eye? Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2016;9:199-212.
- International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. Post-infectious IBS. Accessed 7/20/16 at: http://www.aboutibs.org/what-is-ibs-sidenav/post-infectious-ibs.html
- Villani AC, Lemire M, Thabane M, et al. Genetic risk factors for post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome following a waterborne outbreak of gastroenteritis. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:1502-1513.
- Hughes PA, Zola H, Penttila IA, et al. Immune activation in irritable bowel syndrome: can neuroimmune interactions explain symptoms? Am J Gastroenterol. 2013;108:1066-1074.