Is There a Connection Between IBS and Gluten Sensitivity?
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The IrritableBowelSyndrome.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Vazquez-Roque MI, Camilleri M, Smyrk T, Murray JA, Marietta E, O’Neill J, Carlson P, Lamsam J, Janzow D, Eckert D, Burton D, Zinsmeister AR. A controlled trial of gluten-free diet in patients with irritable bowel syndrome-diarrhea: effects on bowel frequency and intestinal function. Gastroenterology. 2013 May;144(5):903-911. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2013.01.049. Epub 2013 Jan 25.
- University of Chicago Medicine, Celiac Disease Center. Accessed online on 8/26/16 at http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-gluten-intolerance-gluten-sensitivity-and-wheat-allergy/.
- Celiac Disease Foundation. Accessed online on 8/26/16 at https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/understanding-celiac-disease-2/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-2/.
- Uhde M, Ajamian M, Caio G, De Giorgio R, Indart A, Green PH, Verna EC, Volta U, Alaedini A. Intestinal cell damage and systemic immune activation in individuals reporting sensitivity to wheat in the absence of coeliac disease. Gut. E pub 2016 Jul. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2016-311964.
- Verdu EF, Armstrong D, Murray JA. Between celiac disease and irritable bowel syndrome: the “no man’s land” of gluten sensitivity. Am J Gastroenterol. 2009 Jun:104(6):1587-1594. doi: 10.1038/ajg.2009.188.